Thursday, September 1, 2016

Moms and Quilts

Hello there!  So glad you could stop by!

I have two projects that I want to share but I have to wait.  I hate waiting.   One will be revealed on Monday.  The Shadow Block Mini Reveal!

The second one is the Cloud9 Block Design project and there are a TON of ladies on this one.  We will each be designing one unique 12 inch block using this fabric.  Each quilter is going to post the block she designed along with a tutorial on how to make the block.  We will all be sending our blocks in to be sewed together into quilts for charity.   There are prizes to be had!  So be sure to visit this blog hop,  I'll be posting a list of all the participants on September 12.   Judging by the number of participants, I think we'll have enough to make several quilts! 

In the meantime, I have to come up with something else to blog about so I'm kind of all over the board from here on out.

My mom (who just turned 80) is the one who first taught me how to sew.  Hi mom!!


She never was a quilter but I remember all kinds of clothes and crafty things she made.  She hasn't sewed in years and had even sold her machine when she and dad moved into a retirement home but then someone gave her a sewing machine and then someone else gave her a bunch of scraps.  She started cutting squares and sewing them together to make a quilt to give to Love, Inc.  Love, Inc. is a non-denominational organization that has been successful in organizing churches of all different beliefs to help those in need.  Love them!!   Here is what she made!


So I took her shopping to buy some batting and help pick out the backing.  We found this yummy calico with yellow background and blue and pink flowers with green leaves.  All the colors in her quilt!  So now, I have a new project to practice my FMQ (free motion quilting)!


Remember this picture?

Now it looks like this!  It's kind of a barn woody looking engineered flooring.  Supposedly harder than wood.  We shall see!  This is the living room and kitchen.


While we're on the subject of moms, I am one, ya know.  And here is one of the humans who made me a mom.  Her name is Ashley.  Here we are trying to keep straight faces.


Mom, you're so weird!


Ah, but she loves me anyway.


Happy Quilting!



6 comments:

  1. Hello Janice, great photos of your mum and you with your daughter, I can't wait to see how you quilt your mum's quilt. I'm sure it will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mum's guilt is great, all perfect joins too. I love seeing your FMQ, every time it just gets better and better. I love the Mother and Daughter pics, you all look so close. Your floor looks exactly the same as the one I bought last year for my kitchen, which is wearing very well, especially with two dogs, love it. In fact I loved it so much I got it for the bathrooms then the lounge and dining room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that your mom has started quilting and that you are helping her out by quilting the quilt. I also find it so interesting to see the family resemblances that travel from generation to generation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that your mom is quilting now. What a wonderful hobby it is as she gets older. I also love the pics of you, your mom and your daughter. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Janice! Hey, my mum turns 80 in November and I'm flying out to be with her; her mum, my nana, was the seamstress in the family, and even though she died when I was only 3, my mum always said I get my love of sewing and knitting from her. I will be watching for your block! Should've gotten in on this as I LOVE those fabrics! I can vouch for the durability of engineered wood; we had it in our basement in Alberta and Rocco, our pibble, who is very hard on floors with his exuberant don't-do-anything-slowly nature, didn't hurt it one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like your Mom hasn't lost her skills. Very fun pics of you and your DD.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE meeting new quilting friends and always respond to comments so I'd love to hear from you!